Document Management is an application developed based on the SharePoint Server technology. It enables saving, classification, and revising of various documents, which can be filtered either by their contents or by the type of the document. Furthermore, it also enables the digitalization of various forms and their approval on various levels while also including e-mail notifications for any changes that occur to the documents during their revision.
Document management controls the life cycle of documents in the organization — how they are created, reviewed, and published, and how they are ultimately disposed of or retained. Although the term “management” implies that information is controlled from the top of the organization, our effective document management system reflects the culture of the organization that uses it.
The tools that are used for document management are flexible enough to enable to tightly control a document’s life cycle, if that fits your enterprise’s culture and goals, but also to let implementing a more loosely structured system, if that better suits your enterprise.
Document management as an effective solution specifies the following:
- What kinds of documents and other content can be created in an organization.
- What template to use for each kind of document.
- What metadata to provide for each kind of document.
- Where to store a document at each stage of its life cycle.
- How to control access to a document at each stage of its life cycle.
- How to move documents within the organization as team members contribute to the documents’ creation, review, approval, publication, and disposition.